Options > Post-Abortion
Everyone's experience is different. Many women experience strong negative emotions following an abortion, so if that's you - you're not alone. Some of these negative reactions may be immediate; and some occur many years after the abortion. Post-abortion grief can be related to a woman's age, length of pregnancy, previous mental health, religious or cultural beliefs, or whether she was pressured into an abortion.
This is described as the inability to:
- Process the painful thoughts and emotions about a crisis pregnancy and subsequent abortion – guilt, anger and sorrow.
- Identify the loss that has incurred.
- Come to peace with self and others.
Symptoms of Post-Abortion Stress may include:
- Feeling compelled to conceal an abortion
- Experiencing prolonged depression
- Psychological "numbing"
- Experiencing disturbing thoughts about babies and abortion
- Having lingering guilt and shame
- Believing you are unworthy
- Avoiding relationships or struggling with intimacy
- Reacting physically and emotionally when abortion is mentioned
- Anxiety over fertility or childbearing issues
- Alcohol and drug abuse
- Engaging in self-destructive behaviour
- Having thoughts of suicide
Women come to us hoping to resolve feelings of guilt, anxiety and depression. Women also inform us of secondary symptoms such as flashbacks of the abortion procedure, addictions, eating disorders, self-harm, anniversary syndrome, spiritual disconnection, preoccupation with becoming pregnant again, and interruption of bonding with future children.
We can help.
If you or someone you know may be experiencing post abortion stress, contact us. Individual counselling and support groups are available.